Hi! You’ve reached the website of Tom Spencer. I’m a Web Application Developer based in Bristol, UK.
If you are interesting in hiring me to work on a web or mobile application, why not get in touch?
A SaaS platform to connect together existing cloud apps into a ‘workflow’, passing data from each stage to the next.
- A greenfield project which was built from the ground-up.
- Worked from requirements and wireframes to architect and build the core app and corresponding admin UI.
- Collaborated with other developers to create an SDK for building ‘services’, which connect to individual cloud apps.
- Built using the MEAN stack - MongoDB, Express, Angular.js and Node.js, using Test-Driven Development.
- Workflow logic distributed via a message queue and deployed to Heroku to allow for horizontal scaling.
- Integrated with Recurly to handle recurring subscription payments.
- The client is happy with the progress, implementation and stability of the application. In particular, the test-driven nature has led to no major issues in the field.
A micro scripting platform for joining up and extending cloud apps.
- The project was nearing completion when I was hired to audit the codebase.
- It was clear that the app required a rewrite, which the client agreed to.
- Static HTML templates were provided, and the responsive web app was built using Backbone.js, consuming a RESTful API.
- The client is very happy with the app, citing the quick run-time performance and modular codebase as two particularly pleasing aspects of the project.
A responsive product catalogue for a leading technology brand.
This app was designed and built by a team at Mubaloo. As Head of Web Team, I was responsible for the development of the app, which was built as a single-page web application using Backbone.js, and integrated with a RESTful API.
The app is now hosted by the client and is used by sales professionals all over the UK.
A hybrid mobile app for iPhone and Android phones to allow teachers to track student attendance.
This app was designed and built by a team at Mubaloo. As Head of Web Team, I was responsible for the development of the app, which was built as a hybrid mobile app using Backbone.js, integrating with a RESTful API, and wrapped with PhoneGap.
The app is now live on the iOS App Store, and is used by trainers all over the UK. The Android version is due to follow.
Co-founder and organiser of SWmobile, a mobile-focused tech group based in the South West.
The group meets every 6-8 weeks to discuss mobile design and development. We have held a number of meetups in Bristol and Bath, which are well attended and liked. We attract speakers and sponsors from around the UK and overseas, and plan to grow the group further in the South West.
Co-founder and organiser of the Bristol branch of Node School, the open source workshops that teach Node.js skills.
The inaugural meetup was held in February 2015 and was a great success. There are now plans underway to run a second session.
For more details on my past experience, please refer to my LinkedIn profile.
Technical Director, Studio Zeffa
April 2013 - Present
Designing, architecting and developing web and mobile applications for a number of clients. Available for hire for your next project.
Head of Mobile Web, Mubaloo
November 2012 - August 2013
In addition to my duties as a Senior Web Developer, I also carried out the following tasks.
- Responsible for managing a team of web developers.
- Involved in high-level management meetings and discussions on the direction and vision of the company.
- Involved in resource planning to ensure the team were running at full capacity.
- Implemented coding standards and testing best-practices.
- Championed Agile methodologies resulting in adoption of user stories and rapid prototyping across the business.
- Responsible for new hires and existing employee well-being.
Senior Mobile Web Developer, Mubaloo
January 2012 - November 2012
- Deputy of the mobile web team; responsible for the development of browser-based and hybrid mobile web applications in a fast-paced agency environment.
- Worked on a variety of projects, including financial apps and HTML5 games.
- Frequently involved in client meetings, scoping/quoting, user stories, wireframing, UX design, development, testing and deployment to app stores.
- Experience developing for a number of different devices, including iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry and Window Phone.
- Introduced a new single-page web framework - Mobile Backbone Boilerplate - which became the standard for all new client projects.
Co-Founder and CEO, Isca Networks
November 2007 - January 2012
- Startup developing web-based touch screen kiosk hardware and software.
- Launched product in 2009; achieved sales in UK, France and Canada.
- Led team to deployment of over 200 kiosks across 9 retail stores in France.
- Other duties varied from handling hardware operations and logistics, liaising with customers and investors, supporting product, setting targets, reporting results to Board of Directors and handling financial forecasts.
- Business was relocated to Canada and reborn as Toushay. I decided to remain in the UK and resigned from the company.
All libraries are open source and can be found on my GitHub profile.
A Backbone.js plugin to provide access to remote resources which are protected by HTTP Basic Authentication. Developed for the Pro Attend app.
A fork of the popular Backbone Boilerplate library, aimed at mobile devices. Used to develop SafariApps.
A jQuery/Zepto plugin to shrink text until it fits on one line. Developed for SafariApps to ensure that text in a mobile list view does not wrap to the next line.
If you’ve got this far, well done! Why not get in touch with me to find out if we can work together?